Gymnastics Coach (Girls and/or Boys Teams) - PT
Posted January 17, 2022
Somerset Valley YMCA provides a progressive and competitive Gymnastics Program in which athletes can reach their full potential through the Y's nurturing style of coaching. Our competitive Gymnastics Program has placed at states and worlds competitions because of the dedication of our gymnasts and coaches.
Somerset Valley YMCA (Somerville) is seeking Gymnastics Coaches in our Girls' Teams and Boys' Team to add to our competitive coaching staff. Applicants should have a competitive spirit and should be seeking to build and enhance our competitive program while also nurturing our progressive feeder program.
Under the direction of our Head Coach & Gymnastics Coordinator, provide quality coaching and enhancement to our progressive and competitive gymnastics program. Ensure safety, quality instruction, and enhancement of the program area through all YMCA safety standards and the Y's welcoming, nurturing, and determined style of coaching.
- Conduct YMCA program instruction in accordance with USA Gymnastics and YMCA of the USA program standards.
- Ensure adherence to YMCA progressive or competitive standards and quality.
- Provide a safe environment that allows members and participants to learn YMCA gymnastics programs. Be an advocate for child abuse prevention and be well versed in YMCA and USA Gymnastics policies around youth protection.
- Encourage and support gymnasts to provide an enjoyable YMCA experience.
- Evaluate program skills; complete progress reports for each session; complete communications for parents. Incorporate character development objectives into the program to reinforce the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Follow approved positive support techniques to develop and refine gymnast’s skills.
- Always strive to enhance the program and uphold the competitive edge of the program. Provide stern but encouraging coaching in which gymnasts feel motivated to achieve their goals and compete at even higher levels.
- Participate as a part of the YMCA staff team in providing a safe and enjoyable environment. Respect others by arriving on time and in accordance with schedule. Wear proper attire and name tag in accordance with YMCA standards. Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Provide excellent service to members and participants. Help foster a positive environment for both gymnasts and families.
- Manage participant behavior using collaborative approach with supervision and parents.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Excellent knowledge of gymnastics. Ideally 2-3 years of experience in instructing and/or years of competitive gymnastics experience as an athlete.
- Ability to perform activities which require sustained concentration and attention.
- Ability to physically assist (spot) individuals through skills with a clear understanding of developing a gymnast.
- USAG Safety Certification Preferred (must obtain within 90 days of hire).
- Experience working with male gymnasts (as a Boys' Team Coach) or female gymnasts (as a Girls' Team Coach) and the understanding of differences between the two competition styles.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- COMMITMENT TO CHILD PROTECTION & SAFETY
- Ensure that children are kept safe from harm.
- Require a "Rule of 3" at all times - children should never be left alone with an adult or another child.
- As a Mandated Reporter you are obligated to report ALL suspicions of abuse or neglect to the requisite state agency.
- Maintaining the safety of all members and staff by identifying and correcting risk situations, and ensuring incident-reporting procedures are followed.
- Be able to identify equipment repair and maintenance needs and report these to the Program Director immediately.
- Ensuring the overall cleanliness of the gymnastics equipment and gymnasium.
- Ability to verbally share information and to convey detailed, spoken instructions to staff, members, children, and volunteers accurately, quickly, and loudly.
- Ability to perceive the nature of sounds by ear.
- Ability to lift and carry 50-75 pounds - spotting of gymnasts and setting up equipment is expected in this role.
- Ability to move about on foot quickly; ability kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to judge distances and spatial relationships so as to see objects where they actually are and clearly see at 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more.
Hours vary based on the needs of the program and specific team groups. Gymnastics teams will practice most days of the week.
PART TIME BENEFITS INCLUDE:
- FREE Membership Access to any YMCA in the Nation.
- 10% Discount on most programming at Greater Somerset County YMCA.
- Access to one of the leading retirement programs "Y Retirement Fund" with a 12% company contribution to fund after eligibility period.
- Opportunities for professional development, mentoring, growth, and promotion throughout the YMCA Movement.
- Supportive and inclusive community for people of all backgrounds and access to Employee Resource Networks.
Greater Somerset County YMCA is a drug free work environment. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome all applicants who share our values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.