Group Fitness Instructors - PT
Posted January 17, 2022
Greater Somerset County YMCA (GSCY) is a local nonprofit committed to strengthening community by connecting all people to their potential, purpose and each other. At GSCY, we focus on empowering young people, improving health and well-being, and inspiring action in and across communities. By bringing together people from different backgrounds, perspectives and generations, we ensure that we all have access to the opportunities, relationships and resources necessary to learn, grow and thrive. To learn more about GSCY, visit our website: http://gscymca.org
Somerville YMCA is seeking to welcome new Group Fitness Instructors to our Wellness Team to help lead, promote, and innovate the latest and greatest forms of group exercise. Group Fitness Instructors provide cutting-edge instruction through a variety of motivating, entertaining, and fun classes that help members achieve a sense of pride in their wellness journey, all while building new friendships within the class community. Instructors act as a wellness resource for and maintain positive relationships with members to encourage continued class attendance. Group Fitness Instructors are responsible for meeting class attendance minimums, consistently innovating their style of teaching, and bringing lively energy to the YMCA!
At the YMCA, we are seeking a variety of group fitness class formats and instruction:
- Yoga/Stretch/Meditation - holistic classes meant to promote mindfulness, flexibility, and connection with oneself.
- Spin/Cycle - think loud, think flashing lights, think the latest top 40 hits! Our Spin classes are meant to be a full body experience and our instructors are meant to inspire!
- Kickboxing - an adrenaline-pumping martial-arts style class that provides a great cardio workout and helps build endurance and coordination all while working the heart and burning a lot of calories.
- Barre - a total body workout derived from elements of dance, Pilates, and strength training - these instructors bring great to graceful and kick butt doing it!
- Boot camp - Boot camp instructors know this class style can be intimidating but are up for a good challenge and seeking to provide the deepest, most rewarding level of exercise.
- Zumba - Eso! Our Zumba instructors bring the Latin jams for this workout in disguise. Keep it fresh, keep it spicy, keep it moving - bring.the.energy!
- Circuit Training - Our Circuit Instructors keep it moving and switch it up every week. This high paced interval based class keeps members coming back for more.
- HIIT - A high intensity class seeks a high intensity instructor. These instructors shouldn't be afraid to sweat alongside their participants and bring the cardio up!
... In addition to these formats, we welcome other energetic and relevant formats. Do not hesitate to apply if you are the next pioneer in group fitness!
Available class times range and vary but always correlate to our member's needs. Our morning busy hours are 6am - 10am and our evening hours are 6pm - 8:30pm. Classes typically are 30-60min in length.
- Develops positive relationships with class participants by teaching a variety of challenging and entertaining group fitness classes
- Educates participants on correct form and alternative moves during the fitness routine
- Delivers positive member service, motivation, and support by creating and prioritizing an inclusive environment for all
- Using "Listen First" skills, actively engage in conversation before and after classes with participants to build a "Class Community"
- Maintains quality of the fitness rooms and reports any equipment issues
- Must be 18 years or older
- Holds an active Group Exercise Certification: National Association of Sports Medicine (NASM), American Council of Exercise (ACE), American Fitness Aerobic Association (AFAA), Aquatic Exercise Association (AEA), Spinning, Zumba
- Ability to plan, demonstrate, execute, and perform all fitness routines of the class being taught. Our instructors must be motivating.
- Must be punctual and have excellent communication skills
Part-time benefits include:
- FREE Individual Membership Access to any YMCA in the Nation.
- 10% Discount on most programming at Greater Somerset County YMCA.
- Access to one of the leading retirement programs "Y Retirement Fund" with a 12% company contribution to fund after eligibility period.
- Opportunities for professional development, mentoring, growth, and promotion throughout the YMCA Movement.
- Supportive and inclusive community for people of all backgrounds and access to Employee Resource Networks.
Greater Somerset County YMCA is a drug free work environment. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information who share our values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.