We wanted to provide an update on the 2020 accomplishments of Lifelong Westfield, one of the Mayor's advisory councils started in 2018 whose mission is to help Westfield residents age in place and build a stronger community for Westfield’s seniors.
Despite COVID, Lifelong Westfield — under the leadership of co-chairs Brad Chananie and Deirdre Gelinne and Council Liaison David Contract as well as a team of volunteers ranging in age from high school students to residents in their eighties — has made a huge difference in the lives of our town's seniors and their caregivers.
Our key accomplishments in 2020 include:
- Launched the WESTFIELD 300 MILESTONE AWARDS to honor residents and businesses achieving incredible milestones including the oldest resident and the family that has lived in Westfield for the most generations. Winners and runner ups were honored at a virtual ceremony and were hand-delivered Proclamations signed by Mayor Brindle
- Held Safety Education Programs for Seniors that provided face coverings and safety vests
- Held Senior Walk with Mayor Brindle and Chief of Police Battiloro
- Held Senior Scam Webinar in partnership with Westfield Police Department
- Held Medicare Education Webinar during the Medicare open enrollment period
- Led Voluntary Pickup of storm debris from 50 senior residences
- Distributed Quarterly Newsletters to keep seniors informed
- Conducted weekly calls to seniors during first wave of the pandemic to check in on their well-being
- Launched Friday virtual chat series to provide community for Seniors
- Implemented Lifelong Westfiled's Mission, C.A.K.E. (Compassion, Acceptance, Kindness, and Empathy) by our members for seniors throughout 2020
If you're a Westfield Senior and not on our mailing list, please let us know, so we can add you and help keep you informed. Please email us at email@example.com or call 908-301-1287. And get ready for a full slate of programs in 2021 beginning with a Home Safety Seminar being held in conjunction with the Westfield Fire Department in February 2021.
Deirdre Gelinne and Brad Chananie,
Lifelong Westfield Co-Chairs