NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ – A 29-year-old Edison man has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for the 2018 murder of a New Brunswick man.

Christopher “C-Dub” Thompson was sentenced Thursday for the murder of Larenz O’Garro, 23, by Superior Court Judge Thomas J. Buck, according to a press release from Middlesex County Prosecutor Yolanda Ciccone’s office.

Thompson was sentenced to an additional eight years in prison for the attempted murder of another man. This term is subject to the No Early Release Act, meaning he must serve 85% before being eligible for parole.

Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Thomson was also sentenced for his unlawful possession of a handgun, and the hindering of his own apprehension for fleeing to Georgia after the murder. Those sentences are to run concurrent to the murder and attempted murder.

He was also convicted of possession of a handgun for an unlawful purpose, authorities said.

Thompson was also separately sentenced to 10 years in prison for being a certain person not to be in possession of a handgun due to a prior conviction with a five-year period of parole ineligibility. In total, Thompson will have to serve 41 years, 8 months of his 48-year sentence before he is eligible for parole.

At trial, Executive First Assistant Prosecutor Bina Desai and Assistant Prosecutor Deanna Himelson presented evidence and testimony establishing that, on Oct. 26, 2018, Thompson fatally shot O’Garro shortly after an altercation involving the second victim and codefendant Eric “E-Z” Inman, who was ultimately sentenced to three years in prison.

TAPinto New Brunswick previously reported that the shootings took place at the Robeson Village Apartment Complex.

Authorities said city police responded to reports of shots fired and found O'Garro lying in a parking lot on Van Dyke Avenue, having suffered multiple gunshot wounds.

O'Garro was taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in the city where he was pronounced dead, the county prosecutor's office said.

Authorities said Thompson fled after the shooting, leading to a search which included the coordinated efforts of the U.S. Marshals Service, the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office and the New Brunswick Police Department.

On Nov. 15, 2018, members of the U.S Marshals Service apprehended Thompson in Lithonia, Georgia.