Fairfield Mayor and Council Seek Grants and Funds
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 • 11:57pm
FAIRFIELD, NJ - On Monday, November 26th, Fairfield's Mayor James Gasparini and the Council met for their public meeting.
The meeting opened with a report from the Fairfield Police Department. Chief Charles Voelker explained that the town received a $1,500 grant from Target. The Chief was happy to report, “The grant money that Target provided will be used to assist us in expanding the community-wide alert system that we put in place this year to help keep citizens better informed with up-to-the minute notifications on their cell phones and e-mail accounts of incidents that might affect them” said Chief Charles Voelker. “Target remains a great supporter of the Fairfield Police Department and our community at large” said the Chief.
Chief Voelker noted that anyone wishing to join the Fairfield Police Department’s Community Notification System can go to the Fairfield Police Department’s website at www.fairfieldpolicenj.org and sign up.
On behalf of the Council, Mayor Gasparini accepted the check from the Target Store and Security Manager who attended the meeting and thanked Target for their generosity.
Councilman Michael McGlynn thanked the Department of Public Works for their continued work in storm clean-up and asked that residents be patient as the process continues.
Councilman John LaForgia announced that the town Christmas Tree Lighting will take place on Friday, December 7th at 5:30pm. The Mayor added, “a special guest in a red suit may appear that night.”
Mayor Gasparini thanked Essex County Executive Joe DiVincenzo for the extra workers the county provided for the storm clean-up.
In addition, the Mayor reported on the County D-SNAP program and explained how residents can apply for the program. The Mayor then called on Essex County Liaison, Phil Alagia, who provided further County announcements. Mr Alagia informed the Council about the Holiday Lights at the Turtleback Zoo and how people can bring non-perishable foods in place of paying for an entry fee. He then thanked the Mayor and Council for their cooperation during the storm and afterwards.
In other business, the Fairfield Health Officer, Bill Wallace, reported there was a smooth inspection process following the storm. Wallace reported, “After the power outages, we were able to move quickly with inspections due to constant communication with the establishments. This process was easier when compared to last year’s flood when we had to make multiple trips to one site.”
The Town Engineer, Lawrence Gonnello, discussed the Community Development Block Grant application for which the town could apply. The application is due on December 20, 2012. A conversation took place regarding the use of the funds, if the application were to be accepted. One possible use is to install curbs which comply with the American Disabilities Act in certain sections of Fairfield. For another idea, Mayor Gasparini asked Mr. Gonnello if a new Senior Bus could instead be funded by the CDBG application and Mr. Gonnello replied, “yes.” The grant would cover 75% of the costs to purchase a new Senior Bus, and the town would have to pick up the remaining 25%. The Council agreed that this would be a win for the town.
Finally, the Town Administrator, Joseph Catenaro, reported that the town would be able to apply for FEMA’s Community Rating System (CRS) application for flood insurance. Many of Fairfield’s residents are required to purchase flood insurance on their homes. If this application were to be accepted, then residents would see a reduction in their insurance premiums. Mr. Catenaro then thanked the County for it’s help in processing the CRS application.
Mayor Gasparini ended the meeting and called for the start of the executive session.
Township of Fairfield
230 Fairfield Road
Fairfield, NJ 07004