Mitzvah Day at Temple Sinai of Summit
Friday, May 25, 2012 • 9:43am
Temple Sinai of Summit held its Mitzvah Day, a congregation-wide opportunity to take part in a variety of programs designed to benefit Summit and the surrounding communities, on Sunday May 20. A total of over 200 congregants and teachers turned out to volunteer at the Temple or, in some cases, at off site locations in the area. The kick off assembly was led by Rabbi Stuart Gershon who opened the celebration in song. Stuart Lederman then blew the shofar as a call to action.
Activities at the Temple included those below for the following non-profit organizations:
· Home baked goodies were bagged for 275 Meals on Wheels which will be delivered through Sage Eldercare. Bags of donated groceries will also stock Sage’s Portable Food Pantry.
- Over 50 large boxes of donated children’s books were sorted and packaged for the North Plainfield School District.
• 100 Bag lunches were packed for Summit Helps Its People (SHIP) and the Somerset Food Pantry. The contents were provided by the Namaste Foundation.
- Beautiful birthday cards were handmade and gift bags were decorated for children in group homes run by Youth Consultation Service through the HAPI Foundation.
- Backpacks were filled with donated games, toys, crafts and Children's DVD's for distribution at Wynona's House in Newark.
- NJ Blood Bank received about 25 pints of blood from our donors at our Blood Drive.
- Summit’s Home for Good Dog Rescue was on site with three puppies offering information about volunteering, fostering and pet adoption.
- A group of 17 volunteers cleared out invasive species and spread mulch over several walking trails on a portion of the 53 acres owned by the Great Swamp Watershed Association, and learned about the ecology of the conservation management area.
- 15 congregants lent a hand to the Morris Habitat for Humanity utilizing their skills installing interior trim and hanging doors at the Morris Habitat project in Denville.
After a hard day of laboring with love, everyone joined in a celebratory BBQ back at Temple Sinai with music by the Temple Sinai Band.