Don't Drive Distracted
Friday, July 13, 2012 • 4:12pm
Distracted driving plays a part in one out of every four motor vehicle crashes. This equates to more than 1.5 million collisions a year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Text messaging, changing radio stations, and even turning around to talk to passengers are classified as distracted driving.
With cell phones and text messaging causing the most accidents, drivers are also distracted by using PDAs, laptops and navigational aids. Additionally, drivers create a potential hazard as a result of eating, drinking, reading, or grooming.
Here are some recommended safety tips to follow while driving:
- Pull Off the Road - Don't drive while calling or texting; pull off the road to a safe location.
- Take a Message - Let your voice mail pick up your calls. It's easier and safer to retrieve your messages later on.
- Keep Your Phone Secure - Make sure your phone is in its holder when you are not using it so it does not distract you while driving.
- Don't Take Notes While Driving - If you need to write something down, pull off the road.
- Don't Eat or Drink While Driving - Spills can easily cause an accident if you have to stop quickly.
- Groom Yourself At Home - Shaving, applying makeup, brushing your hair are distractions that should not be done while driving.
Make sure you are behaving responsibly while behind the wheel. For more tips about driving safely, visit www.distraction.gov.
Ron Bansky is the owner of Ron Bansky & Associate’s Allstate Agency in Westfield and Princeton Junction. He has served on Allstate’s National and Regional Agent Advisory Boards and currently serves on Westfield’s Insurance Advisory Board. Ron’s industry awards include leading Allstate New Jersey in Homeowner’s Insurance Sales three times and leading the state in financial services production. As an active Westfield resident, he has also received the Caring Community Award from the Westfield Area Chamber of Commerce and serves on the board of Trustees for Liam’s Room. Ron can be reached at 908-301-0711 Ron@BanskyInsurance.com or via his website BanskyInsurance.com.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TheAlternativePress.com or anyone who works for TheAlternativePress.com. TheAlternativePress.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.