Dr. Parker Addresses Newtown, CT Tragedy
Friday, December 14, 2012 • 6:53pm
The news today of the deaths of a number of children is heartbreaking.
- Listen carefully to what they have heard or seen.
- Acknowledge the enormous sadness of it.
- Allow them to talk about their feelings and fears.
- Answer their questions with brief information.
- Focus on the issue of death, not murder.
- If you don't know the information, then tell them that. Don't offer hypotheses.
- Assure them of their safety and your ongoing presence in their lives.
- Point out to them how extraordinary this event is and caring adults in millions of homes keep children safe.
- Locked doors, security cameras and buzzers
- Emergency drills on a regular basis
- Staff training including participation in State and National safety programs
- Ongoing partnership with police for security and emergency response
- Protocols for communication within the district and the school
- Procedures to respond to a variety emergencies
The Guest Column is our readers' opportunity to write about a given issue or topic in an in-depth and educational manner.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.