West Orange Fire Department to Host Annual Open House at West Orange Public Library
Monday, October 7, 2013 • 11:41pm
WEST ORANGE, NJ - The West Orange Fire Department will promote Fire Prevention Week with its annual Open House at the West Orange Public Library on Saturday, Oct. 12, from 10 a.m. to noon.
The community is invited to stop by the Open House to see fire prevention demonstrations and enjoy give-a-ways and light refreshments. It's a perfect opportunity to bring your children and to meet some of the outstanding fire department staff that help to keep West Orange safe.
In addition to providing information about the fire department and fire safety, from Oct. 6 to Oct. 12, the West Orange Fire Department (WOFD) will be working with the nonprofit National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to encourage West Orange residents to know how to prevent kitchen fires.
Noting that the leading cause of home fires in are cooking fires, Fire Chief Peter A. Smeraldo said, "Often when we're called to a fire that started in the kitchen, the residents tell us that they only left the kitchen for a few minutes. Sadly, that's all it takes for a dangerous fire to start. We hope that Fire Prevention Week will help us reach folks in the community before they've suffered a damaging lesson,” Smeraldo said.
Tips offered by the West Orange Fire Department and the NFPA include:
Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling, or boiling food.
· If you must leave the room, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
· When you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, stay in the home and use a timer to remind you.
· If you have young children, use the stove’s back burners whenever possible. Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the stove.
· When you cook, wear clothing with tight-fitting sleeves.
· Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper and plastic bags, towels and anything else that can burn, away from your stovetop.
· Clean up food and grease from burners and stovetops.
For more information contact Jessica Glicker at firstname.lastname@example.org.