Traffic Alert: Route 1 in Edison Closed All Weekend
Saturday, August 17, 2013 • 12:00am
EDISON, NJ - Drivers planning to use Route 1 in Edison this weekend will have to find alternate routes, as the state DOT has closed a half-mile stretch of the highway for construction. The highway will reopen at 5:00 a.m. Monday morning.
Due to the construction, Route 1 is closed from Forest Haven Boulevard to Prince Street, a distance of 0.4 miles. On an average weekend day over 40,000 drivers use this stretch of the road, say DOT officials.
The closing allows Conrail/Norfolk Southern to replace a freight rail crossing that spans all four lanes. According to DOT officials, “(t)he grade-crossing has deteriorated over time and is being replaced to ensure safe passage for freight trains that serve area businesses.”
About ten trains use the crossing each day, and the improvements are expected to last 25 years.
Drivers can check the DOT’s traffic website for real-time travel information. The DOT suggests the following detours:
• Route 1 northbound motorists whose destination is north of the road closure (through traffic) will be directed to exit Route 1 at County Route 514 (Woodbridge Avenue) and proceed north to I-287 northbound to a ramp that returns them to Route 1 northbound.
• Route 1 northbound motorists will be offered an additional detour at the second (northern) intersection with Old Post Road. Motorists can either go left on Old Post Road to Vineyard Road to Route 27 to I-287 back to Route 1, or right onto Old Post Road to CR 514.
• Route 1 northbound motorists whose destination is located between Woodbridge Avenue and the road closure (local traffic) will proceed on Route 1 northbound to their destination. The signalized intersection at Forest Haven Boulevard, adjacent to the construction zone, will allow motorists to safely turn around and proceed south on Route 1.
• Route 1 southbound motorists whose destination is south of the road closure (through traffic) will be directed to take I-287 southbound to County Route 514 southbound (Woodbridge Avenue) to Route 1 southbound.
• Route 1 southbound motorists will be offered an additional detour that will enable them to access businesses on the southbound side of Route 1 or to continue their trip on Route 1 southbound. This detour will direct Route 1 southbound motorists to take I-287 northbound to Exit 2B, the ramp that takes them to the signalized intersection at Route 27 and Vineyard Road. Motorists will be directed to proceed on Vineyard Road to Old Post Road, where they will be able to turn right or left to reach signalized intersections at Route 1.
• Route 1 southbound motorists whose destination is located between I-287 and the road closure (local traffic) will proceed south on Route 1 to their destination. They will have the opportunity to turn around at Prince Street to head north on Route 1. They also will have the opportunity to take County Route 531 southbound (Main Street) to destinations between Route 1 and Woodbridge Avenue.