Sump Pumps and Hurricanes
Friday, October 26, 2012 • 10:26am
On August 28, 2012 Hurricane Irene made landfall in New Jersey.
Hurricane Irene was downgraded to a Tropical Strom by the time it hit NJ but it still did the following damage:
- Severe flooding occurred as a result of a record high rainfall, the maximum was 11.27 inches.
- The storm killed seven people in the state and damage was estimated at around $1 billion.
- Eleven rivers reached record levels, and a week after the storm all rivers in the state remained at "moderate flooding level".
- In total, approximately 1.46 million customers throughout most of the 21 counties lost power.
- On September 5th the power was restored to the remaining 2,000 homes.
What you need to know as a homeowner with a Sump Pump
- The Sump Pump that keeps your basement dry is powered by electricity
- Without a working sump pump your basement can flood.
- You need a back-up sump pump that can work without electricity for up to a week
How to choose the best back-up Sump Pump for your home.
Battery Powered Back-up
The Heavy Duty DC backup system that we install pumps up to 35gpm with a full charged battery. The system can run for up to ten continuous hours of pumping and move a total of over 12,000 gallons, which translates to almost a week of backup protection under normal pump cycling. If that is not enough for your peace of mind, you can add another battery in tandem to have a combined total pumping capacity of 24,000 Gallons of water.
Water Powered Back-up
At A-1 Basement Solutions, we install the Liberty SumpJet SJ10 as our water powered sump pump. The chart below tells you how much water the water powered sump pump can pump. Please note: Lift is the vertical height from your sump pump to the discharge. 8’ is typical. With 60 PSI water pressure and an 8” vertical lift the SJ10 will pump 17 Gallons of water Per Minute (GPM) which is 1,020 Gallons of water Per Hour (GPH).
Choose wisely when selecting a Back Up Sump Pump. At A-1 Basement Solutions we provide the full solution to protect your basement during a power outage.
A-1 Basement Solutions gives free basement health inspections to New Jersey homeowners. Contact A-1 Basement Solutions at 908-322-1313, or info@A-1Basements.com for a free in-home inspection and detailed quote.
A-1 gives full service guaranteed work and competitive pricing every day.
We do everything for you. By taking care of all the details, A-1 Basement Solutions makes the job worry free. Our motto is No Problems…Just Solutions.
Knowledge is power. Learn everything you need to know about your basement: Subscribe to our blog and get our FREE E-BOOK, “Basements 101”
Was this information useful? We would like to know. We welcome your thoughts and comments.
The Guest Column is our readers' opportunity to write about a given issue or topic in an in-depth and educational manner.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TheAlternativePress.com or anyone who works for TheAlternativePress.com. TheAlternativePress.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.