Summit Prepares for Alumni Weekend
Friday, October 19, 2012 • 3:54pm
SUMMIT, NJ - Today, marks the start of the second annual Summit Hilltopper Alumni weekend. While it is open to anyone who ever attended Summit High School, classes celebrating reunions are 1962, 50th, 1972, 40th, 1982, 30th, 1987, 25th and 1992, 20th.
Two years ago, a group of Summit residents came together because they wanted to create a fun weekend for all alumni. The members of the committee are Laura Graff Coburn, Christine Everling McGinn, Ellen Haley, Toni George, Kim Bredahl and Peter Laughlin. Laughlin said the purpose was to establish an organization that was available to the high schools, charities, sports teams and performing arts.
“It’s really about organizing the alumni to be in a position to give back to the community,” Laughlin said.
Laughlin said they wanted a global reunion for the entire town. Last year’s weekend took about 18 months to plan and the board of education was quite helpful in the process, as well, he added. Both the district and faculty fully support the idea, he said.
He told TheAlternativePress.com that because reunions usually have nothing to do with the high school, they wanted to establish a connection between the alumni, the school and the city of Summit.
They are trying to create popular events that work and can be repeated in the future. They expect about 600 people to attend and see many faculty members, as well.
Laughlin said the highlight of the weekend is each person’s individual reunion and the football game.
“I would like to generate interest in the alumni lunch,” he said.
The schedule for the weekend is:
- SHS alumni will guest-lecture to student classes at the high school from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Cross County Multi-Team Meet- 4 p.m.- Memorial Field
- Cocktails at the Hat Tavern- 6 p.m. until closing- Hat Tavern in the Grand Summit Hotel
- Class of 1972 Pre-event- Join the Class of 1972 at their early kick-off of reunion festivities. Special invitation to the classes of 1970, 71, 73 & 74 but all are welcome. $20 cover includes food, drink coupon. From 7:30 p.m. to closing at the Knights of Columbus Hall, off Shunpike Road Springfield
- Golf Outing- 9 to 11 a.m.- Summit Municipal Golf Course
- Alumni Lunch and High School Open House- Summit High School-11:30 a.m.-1:30p.m.
- Hilltopper Football game – 2 p.m.
- Class Reunions:
- Class of 1992 (20th) Marco Polo 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. $40 cash at the door, includes wine, beer soft drinks and appetizers (cash bar for premium liquor). Please RSVP through the class Facebook page.
- Class of 1987 (25th) The Office 8 p.m. - midnight. Cash bar; $15 cover for appetizers.
- Class of 1982 (30th) The Elks Club
- Class of 1972 (40th) Grand Summit Hotel 6:30 - 11:30 p.m. - https://www.registerme123.com/summit
- Class of 1962 (50th) Canoe Brook Country Club
- Alumni Farewell Coffee- DeBary Inn- 9-11 a.m.
- Summit farmers market -8 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.- Maple and DeForest Avenues