Storm ”Nemo” Updates from Scotch Plains, Fanwood and Union County
Saturday, February 9, 2013 • 12:00am
SCOTCH PLAIN/FANWOOD/UNION, NJ - Much to the chagrin of the National Weather Service, the Weather Channel has begun naming storms, with the current one earning the handle of “Nemo”. Even though the National Weather Service has instructed their people to not refer to the storm by this name, it has already “trended” on Twitter and gone viral on the Internet.
Scotch Plains, Fanwood and Union Country have all updated their information below.
Scotch Plains Update
I want you to know that our Department of Public Works and Office of Emergency Management have made the necessary preparations to keep our streets open and safe. We would request that residents refrain from driving during the peak hours of the storm to allow crews to remove snow and ice in an efficient manner. Wherever, possible parking off the street will make the snow removal process more effective.
For updates related to the storm visit the Township’s website www.scotchplainsnj.com, via a Township reverse e-Mail, and on Comcast and Verizon channels 34 and 22 respectively. For storm related issues, such as blocked streets, downed trees, etc please call our Police Desk 908-322-7100.
We will also be sending regular storm related updates to the Alternative Press.com and Scotch Plains Fanwood Patch. The Township is now utilizing a reverse 9-1-1 system. In the event of an emergency that requires immediate notification, you will receive an automated phone message.
While we do not expect and are hoping that we will not have major power outages stemming from this storm, let me suggest that you take the necessary precautions, checking on your supply of batteries, flashlights etc. to keep your family safe and comfortable. The following link will take you to an American Red Cross Winter Storm preparation page: www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm.
Stay safe and we will do our best to keep you updated.
Kevin Glover, Mayor, The Township of Scotch Plains
PSE&G is gearing up
PSE&G says the utility is preparing for possible power outages by taking these steps:
- Ensuring that all available personnel are ready to respond beginning Friday.
- Arranging for contractors, including tree crews, to assist the utility's own skilled workforce.
- Ensuring that additional supplies, such as poles, transformers and other pole-top equipment, are on hand.
- Ensuring that all vehicles are fueled and ready to go.
- Testing generators at utility locations.
- Coordinating with county and municipal emergency management personnel to inform them of outages and expedite restoration efforts.
The Fanwood Police and Fire Departments, Rescue Squad and Department of Public Works are gearing up for snow and wind conditions. Residents are urged to stay off the roads as much as possible. PLEASE DO NOT PARK ON THE STREET TO FACILITATE SNOW REMOVAL. If the winds really kick up, power outages are possible. Be prepared with flashlights, pull out the extra blankets and have a plan for a possible power interruption.
Communications – Keeping in Touch
Watch this website and Community TV (Comcast Channel 35, Fios Channel 24) for updates. If you haven't done so already, sign up for Fanwood Email Alerts, visit our Facebook page and sign up for Union County First Alert. It's all free! All these devices will help you stay informed through the storm.
The Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders has added two updates for storm-related closings or cancellation of County services:
1. The Trailside Summer Camp Lottery scheduled to begin on Saturday February 9 has been postponed due to the severe weather forecast for February 8 and 9. The Lottery has been rescheduled to begin at noon on Sunday, February 10.
2. The Union County Clerk’s office at 300 North Avenue East in Westfield will be closed on Saturday, February 9.
All Union County parks and park facilities are closed today, February 8, as previously announced.
Please note: persons without a phone text messaging plan will be billed for First Alert text messages by their service provider.