Sparta Schools' Holiday Concerts
Monday, December 9, 2013 • 12:33am
December is a busy month for Sparta school district music students. Students from Helen Morgan, Sparta Middle School and Sparta High School will be sharing their gift of music in concerts over the next two weeks.
Helen Morgan concerts will be held at the Sparta High School Auditorium all beginnign at 7 p.m.
- The Chorus Concert will be held on Dec 11 under the direction of Andrea Birch
- 4th and 5th grade Strings Concert will be on Dec 17 under the direction of Strings teacher Chryselle Angderson
- Band Concert will be on Dec 19. under the direction of Patricia Curtis
Sparta Middle School will have the 7th and 8th Grade Band Concert on Dec 10 at 7 p.m. The Band Director is Christian Arnold.
Sparta High School music department will have all of the concerts at the Sparta High School Auditorium starting at 7 p.m.
- The Band Concert will be on Dec 9 under the direction of Deborah Gianuzzi and Andrew Lopez
- The Chorus Concert will be on Dec 12 under the direction of Laura Lopez
- The Orchestra Concert will be on Dec 18 under the direction of Loni Bach
Students begin their instrumental studies in the fourth grade, with Angderson. The Helen Morgan Strings concert will feature the fourth grade Strings students playing three familiar songs. They will cover Hot Cross Buns Variataions, Mary Had a Little Lamb and Old Mac Donald. The fifth grade students will play Ghost of John, Chanukah Chanukah and Jolly Old Saint Nick. "The concert will conclude with the fourth and fifth grade musicians performing Jingle Bells together," shares Angderson.
"The concert at the High School will feature performances by the Freshman Concert Band, Symphonic Band and Honors Wind Ensemble and selections by Percy Grainger, Chris Bernotas, John Mackey, Clifton Williams, John Barnes Chance, P.I. Tchaikovsky and more," according to Deborah Gianuzzi.
The community is welcome to attend the musical concerts. Those attending the programs at the High School may enter through the Cafeteria side entrance.