Six Scotch Plains-Fanwood Students Win Award of Merit in 2013 PTA Reflections Art Program
Friday, April 11, 2014 • 1:20pm
SCOTCH PLAINS, NJ - At Thursday's Board of Education Open Agenda meeting on, Scotch Plains-Fanwood Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Margaret Hayes introduced six students recognized for their entries in the 2013 PTA Reflections Art Program.
The theme for 2013 was “Dream, Believe, Inspire!” in which students submitted their interpretation of one of six areas of creativity: dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography, and visual arts.
The following students’ creative entries were selected from the hundreds of statewide submissions:
- Jennifer Schug, 7th Grade Student at Terrill Middle School – Music Composition, Middle School Division, “Anything is Possible” (Third year Merit Award Winner)
- Sophie Gannon, 3rd Grade Student at McGinn School – Dance Choreography, Intermediate Division, “I Belong”
- Billie Rose Sherratt, 2nd Grade Student at School One – Dance Choreography, Primary Division, “I Am a Mermaid”
- Ryan Agnello, 5th Grade Student at Terrill Middle School – Film Production, Intermediate Division, “The Clumsy Circle” (Second year Merit Award Winner)
- Sara Wollman, 2nd Grade Student at School One – Film Production, Primary Division, “Get Inspired!”
- Kayla Fiore, 2nd Grade Student at McGinn School – Music Composition, Primary Division, “Get Inspired!”
The Reflection Arts Program was developed by the National PTA to encourage students Grades K-12 to explore their talents creatively and express themselves with an opportunity to receive recognition for their efforts. Each of the students received a state level Award of Merit.
Of the 20 students in Union County who received these awards, six were from Scotch Plains-Fanwood. Dr. Hayes congratulated the students and thanked Jon Zogg, local PTA liaison, for his leadership in promoting the program.
Also discussed at the BOE meeting was the recap of the first strategic planning session of three, which can be found through the following link. The next strategic planning session will be held on Tuesday, April 29 at 7:30 p.m. in the old gym of Evergreen School. The board invites the public to participate in the session.