Sign Company Accidentally Causes Natural Gas Leak at Wilson School, Wednesday
Thursday, August 15, 2013 • 9:16am
Updated 12:30 p.m.
WEST CALDWELL, NJ - Wednesday night, the West Caldwell Fire Department responded to a gas leak at the Wilson School driveway area. When the fire department arrived they found that natural gas was leaking out of a high pressure 4" gas main just off the driveway entering the school property. For about two hours, the fire department stood by to make sure that the neighborhood was safe. PSE&G is working on repairing the leak and is expected to complete their work today. Wilson School is located on 71 Orton Road, West Caldwell.
Wilson School, located at 71 Orton Road, West Caldwell Credit: Google Maps
According to West Caldwell Fire Chief Jim Alvine, a sign company had been installing speed limit signs along the driveway area and reportedly penetrated the gas main when putting in place the signs' metal supports.
PSE&G workers arrived and attempted to shut the gas supply to the penetrated line. According to PSE&G representatives, gas service was shut down temporarily to Wilson School while repairs were being made. Ultimately, however, the gas main had to be dug up and replaced.
On Thursday, Scott Keena, principal of Wilson School, commented to TAP, "The gas has been shut off and PSE&G is already fixing the problem. We anticipate that the problem will be fixed today."