TAP Into Your Town's News

West Essex — News

Recalled Fire Detector Causes Fire in North Caldwell, Wednesday

Carolyne Volpe Curley

Thursday, March 6, 2014 • 1:28am


NORTH CALDWELL, NJ - On Wednesday, the North Caldwell Fire Department responded to reports of a fire within a smoke detector at a home on Stepping Ridge Drive. According to Fire Chief John D'Ascensio, upon their arrival he and North Caldwell Police Sergeant Karl Strodthoff determined that the fire indeed did involve the hard-wired smoke detector which was located on a first floor ceiling of the 2 story home.

D'Acensio explained, "The homeowner was home at the time of the fire and called 911. The power was secured to the system and the smoke detector was removed."

The Fire Chief investigated further and found that the smoke detectors were originally installed in 2005 and that they had been recalled by the manufacturer General Electric in 2010. "At the time, the company had sent the Fire Department a recall notice stating that a capacitor can overheat - which this unit did," added D'Ascensio. 
 
The homeowner was advised to contact their electrician to replace the remaining units. The power was shut off to those units and the Fire Department installed battery powered units for the interim. 

In addition, the North Caldwell Fire Prevention Bureau contacted the Stepping Ridge Property Management Group to advise them of the fire and suggest that they should check to see if there were additional similar units within the complex that needed to also be replaced. 
TAP into your town! Get Your Town's News In Your Inbox: Click here to sign up.