TAP Into Your Town's News

West Essex — News

North Caldwell Warns of Clothing Dryer Dangers After Saturday Night Fire

Carolyne Volpe Curley

Sunday, October 27, 2013 • 10:04pm


NORTH CALDWELL, NJ - On Saturday night at 10:14 p.m., the North Caldwell Police Department responded to Soder Road after they received a call from the homeowner reporting a fire in her dryer. According to North Caldwell Fire Chief John D'Ascensio, when officers arrived at the scene, the home had been already been evacuated and there was heavy smoke coming from the house while the smoke detectors were going off.


Soder Road, North Caldwell  Credit: Google Maps

The Fire 
Department then arrived, upplugged the dryer, extinguished the fire and removed the dryer from the home. They also checked to see if the fire had caused any additional damage.

D'Ascensio reported that firefighters used 
exhaust fans to remove the heavy residual smoke condition throughout the home.

There were no 
injuries reported and there was minor damage to the home. 
 
"We would like to remind everyone not to use a dryer without a lint filter and to clean the lint filter before and after each cycle," the fire chief commented. "Also, they should remember to clean the back of the dryer where lint can build up and check the venting system from the dryer to make sure that it is not damaged, crushed or restricted."

 
TAP into your town! Get Your Town's News In Your Inbox: Click here to sign up.