New Providence Planning to Demolish Wrecked Home
Tuesday, May 29, 2012 • 9:06pm
NEW PROVIDENCE, NJ - The borough is making plans to demolish the home at 102 Livingston Avenue unless the property owners contact officials by Thursday.
“This is an eyesore, a disgrace,” Councilman Bob Robinson said Tuesday.
The condition of the home was brought to the attention of officials by residents earlier this year.
Borough planning official Keith Lynch inspected the home in April and declared it an unsafe structure and public hazard.
Borough Administrator Douglas Marvin said the property owners were notified the borough planned to take down the home unless they responded by May 31, which is Thursday.
Marvin said there has been no response by the owners.
Councilman Armand Gallucio raised the issue Tuesday, noting there is a very large hole in the roof of the home.
Robinson, who said the lawn had been mowed, asked Marvin if it was possible to fumigate the home before demolition. Neighbors told him there were number animals living in the home and Robinson said he was concerned that the demolition would cause the mice and other animals to seek shelter in other buildings in the neighborhood.
In other business, the council approved a revision to an existing ordinance that amended the rules of the business improvement district and the district management corporation to oversee the new entity.
The new organization would be called the New Providence Downtown Improvement District, Inc. The district management corporation would serve as an advisory board to the borough council.
The board of directors will have nine voting and two non-voting members.
The board will include a member appointed by the mayor with council consent; a planning board member; and a resident who does not own or occupy a commercial property in the downtown district.
Six board members will be owners of businesses or commercial properties in the downtown district, and a non-voting member will come from the New Providence Business and Professional Association.