Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office Reiterates Advisory on Increase in Burglaries
Monday, November 25, 2013 • 4:35pm
EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ - The Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office today issued an updated advisory to all county residents, reiterating the reports issued by local police departments about the increase in break-ins and burglaries in county towns. The advisory states the following:
Residential & Vehicle burglaries have significantly increased over the last month. As the holiday season approaches, we encourage everyone to keep the following safeguard practices in mind:
To avoid having your car broken into:
1) Keep your doors locked.
2) Hide any electronic devices (i.e. GPS, tablets, & IPods) by locking them in the trunk, placing them out of view under a seat or in a locked glove box or even taking them with you. Make sure all electronic cables or cords are out of sight as well.
3) Place any large bags, computer bags or any other electronic device out of sight or in the trunk.
4) Do not keep any cash or a large amount of change in plain view.
To protect your home:
1) Lock all doors and windows, especially on ground floors. Utilizing deadbolt locks is also recommended.
2) Place braces on sliding doors when leaving your home.
3) Make certain security alarms are armed.
4) Electronic timers and lights can provide an indicator that a residence is occupied.
5) Avoid leaving clues that you are away from your residence. Stop your mail, if you are leaving your residence for an extended period of time. Be careful about posting vacations on public social media sites.
Keep information on the make, model, and serial numbers of large purchases. In the unfortunate event that you are a victim, this will aid in the recovery of stolen goods. We encourage you to report any suspicious activity or individuals to your local police department. Also, feel free to visit our Crime Stoppers page at www.middlesextips.com.
Please heed these warnings and take the necessary precautions to protect you and your valuables.