Mattress Fire at Hinchliffe
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 • 11:18pm
PATERSON, NJ – A mattress caught fire at Hinchliffe Stadium Wednesday evening, but the blaze was quickly extinguished by city firefighters.
The fire was reported at about 5:30 pm and was put out by one engine company, officials said.
The incident seemed to be a sign that Hincliffe continues to attract squatters. Several years ago, rubbish fires at the stadium were common and contributed to the ongoing deterioration of the historic structure. Officials said there have not been many fires at Hinchliffe in the past couple years.