Math Skills Workshops at the Scotch Plains Library
Sunday, July 27, 2014 • 11:42pm
Scotch Plains, NJ -- The new school year is just a little more than a month away, and Scotch Plains Public Library is the place to get ready!
Local math tutor Assia Moran will lead two free three-part workshops for rising 7th to 9th grade students in August. Moran is an experienced public school teacher certified in Special Education and Math K-12. She will teach
- “Brush Up Your Geometry Skills” held on Mondays -- August 11, 18 and 25 -- from 6-7:30 p.m.
- “Brush Up Your Algebra Skills” held on Wednesdays -- August 13, 20 and 27 -- from 6-7:30 p.m.
The Geometry curriculum will be:
- August 11 – Geometrical figures and their properties, segments and angles, and construction.
- August 18 – Logic: disjunction and conjunction, graphing rays on the number line, the conditional statement, and converse, inverse, bio-conditional and contra-positive.
- August 25 – Congruent triangles construction and parallel lines
Each geometry student must bring a protractor, compass and ruler.
The Algebra curriculum will be:
- August 13 – Order of operation, translating phrases as algebraic expressions, and simplifying expressions.
- August 20 – Writing and solving equations and inequalities, and the properties of equalities.
- August 27 – Representing integers on the number line, solving word problems with integers, and graphing equations.
Class size is limited, and pre-registration is required. Participants can register by calling the library at (908) 322-5007, x204, or by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority will be given to students who can commit to attending all three weeks of a class. The Scotch Plains Library is located at 1927 Bartle Ave., one block from Park Avenue in the center of town.