Madison Rotary Club to Welcome Mercy Ships VP in March
Thursday, February 20, 2014 • 6:00am
MADISON, NJ - The Rotary Club of Madison will be hosting Jeff Kramer, vice-president of Resource Development at Mercy Ships headquartered in Texas, on March 13 as he presents Mercy Ships’ upcoming project in West Africa for 2015.
Area healthcare professionals are invited to attend this presentation to learn about opportunities to volunteer their skills on this humanitarian mission, the heart of Rotary’s motto, “Service above Self.” The Madison Rotary is collaborating with Mercy Ships. The meeting will take place on March 13 at 7:45 a.m. at the Madison Area YMCA, on Kings Road in Madison.
Mercy Ships provides surgeries and healthcare to correct or otherwise eradicate blindness, corneal growths & crossed eyes, deformities, tumors, cleft lip/palate, congenital abnormalities, burns and leprosy, oral disease, dental extractions and procedures, oral hygiene education, and childbirth injuries.
While docked in Guinea from August 2012 to May 2013, Mercy Ships performed:
· 1475 cataract and 142 other eye surgeries
· 13,483 vision evaluations and treatments and 1334 eye exams
· 696 cleft palate and maxillofacial surgeries and 1533 related physical/occupational therapy related services
· 491 general and orthopedic surgeries and 1807 related physical therapy services
· 57,377 dental procedures and encounters
· 1900 dental hygiene services
· 577 denture replacements
· training and capacity building for 1924 surgeons, doctors, nurses, dentists, technicians, students, midwives
· community health education to 2962 patients
· oral health education to 10,081 clinic patients
· leadership training for 1209 church, community and government leaders
· renovations of two hospital wards and a dental clinic
For additional information or to reserve a seat, contact Missy Elias at email@example.com.