Hurricane Sandy Update as of Sunday, 8:10 p.m.
Sunday, October 28, 2012 • 8:10pm
NEW PROVIDENCE, NJ - As Hurricane Sandy approaches the area, the Berkeley Heights, Madison, Millburn, New Providence, Summit, Chatham, Westfield, and West Orange Public Schools have announced that school will be closed on both Monday and Tuesday.
Regarding the Livingston Public Schools, they will be closed Monday, October 29 due to the pending impact of Hurricane Sandy and dangerous weather conditions. All school and community activities and programs in the schools are canceled.
The Livingston Board of Education's meeting on Monday night has also been canceled. That meeting will be rescheduled.
All branches of the Summit Area YMCA will be closed on Monday.
In addition, the State of New Jersey has announced that state offices will be closed on Monday and New Jersey Transit service ceased operations at 4 p.m.
Here is the latest information and advice from the Governor's Office:
1. The storm is heading our way and it is estimated that it will make landfall Monday night in Ocean or Atlantic County, but we will feel the impact.
2. The entire State is under a flood watch with 5”-10” of rain expected.
3. There is a High Wind Warning in effect for all of Monday into Tuesday morning. With sustained winds of 34-45 miles per hour and gusts of 55-65 miles per hour.
4. With the Rain and the Wind, Power outages are expected as trees and limbs fall.
5. Local flooding may occur.
· During the heights of the storm. Please stay in your home and off the street so emergency vehicles and utility trucks may pass through uninhibited.
· If you are in a area that is prone to flooding I ask that you make your contingency plans now to evacuate and stay with family and or friends.
· If you lose power call JCP&L at 1-888-544-4877 and report it. Don’t assume that they know, By calling it will be registered.
TheAlternativePress.com will continue to provide updates throughout Hurricane Sandy.
Editor's Note: Please send your photos and updates to firstname.lastname@example.org