Hurricane Sandy Update as of Sunday, 1:30 p.m.
Sunday, October 28, 2012 • 1:36pm
BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ - The State of New Jersey just announced that all State Offices will be closed on Monday.
Here are some current updates regarding Hurricane Sandy from our coverage towns:
BERKELEY HEIGHTS (Mayor Joe Bruno):
I just got off of a conference call with the Governor’s office. Here is the latest information and advice:
1. The storm is heading our way and it is estimated that it will make landfall Monday night in Ocean or Atlantic County, but we will feel the impact.
2. The entire State is under a flood watch with 5”-10” of rain expected.
3. There is a High Wind Warning in effect for all of Monday into Tuesday morning. With sustained winds of 34-45 miles per hour and gusts of 55-65 miles per hour.
4. With the Rain and the Wind, Power outages are expected as trees and limbs fall.
5. Local flooding may occur.
· During the heights of the storm Please stay in your home and off the street so emergency vehicles and utility trucks may pass through uninhibited.
· If you are in a area that is prone to flooding I ask that you make your contingency plans now to evacuate and stay with family and or friends.
· If needed, our local shelter will be at Columbia Middle School on Plainfield Ave.
· If you are without power and need to charge your phone and or laptop you may do so at Town Hall, providing we have power.
· For current information here are a few websites that should have handy: NJ State Site www.ready.nj.gov , County Site and to sign up for alert updates from both the County and Township www.ucfirstalert.org and of course we will post updates on the Township website at www.berkeleyheightstwp.com
· If you lose power call JCP&L at 1-888-544-4877 and report it. Don’t assume that they know, By calling it will be registered.
· The Regular Police Number is 908 464-1111. PLEASE ONLY USE 911 FOR AN EMERGENCY.
LIVINGSTON (Township of Livingston):
Due to the severe weather predicted from Hurricane Sandy which may affect the Township of Livingston on Monday October 29th and Tuesday October 30th, the scheduled collection of commingled recyclable materials in Zone 1 (Monday) and Zone 2 (Tuesday) has been cancelled.
Girodano Companies, the Township’ recycling collector has rescheduled those collection days and will pick up the commingled recyclables from both Zone 1 and Zone 2 on Saturday, November 3rd.
TheAlternativePress.com will continue to provide updates from our towns as they become available.