Hurricane Sandy Recovery: Friday Update for Millburn/Short Hills Residents
Friday, November 2, 2012 • 3:34pm
MILLBURN, NJ - Here are the latest updates for Millburn/Short Hills residents as of Friday, Nov. 2, at 3 p.m.:
- If residents have the ability to view JCP&L’s website, this link will take you to a list of Frequently Asked Questions about restoration efforts (not specific to Millburn).
- JCP&L is providing water and ice to residents of Millburn Township and surrounding areas. The pickup location of water and ice will be at the Millburn Board of Education Building on the left hand side starting on Friday November 2nd. The station will be operational from 8:00AM until 5:00PM. Individuals are asked to enter through the High School’s main entrance in front of the building. Volunteers will be giving out 1 case of water and 2 bags of ice per family while supplies last.
- JCP&L is still reporting that they must first repair infrastructure (transmission lines and substations) before localized work can be attempted. The estimate is still 7 days, but could be an additional 7 days for areas largely affected.
As of November 1, 2012 JCP&L reported to the Township that they are working on two major substations that service the Millburn/Short Hills area. These substations have sustained significant damage
DPW INFORMATION :
- Tree Crews are working to clear roads and a crane has been brought in to remove those Township trees that have fallen onto homes.
- The Department of Public Works has crews are working throughout the Township clearing Township trees from roadways and homes (more than 100 trees felled).
- A crane is in the Township again today (November 2nd) pulling trees off of homes. The Fire Department will cover holes in roves damaged by Township trees to protect the contents of the home from the elements.
- Storm call center still remains in effect for residents to call and report issues or ask questions. The number to call is (973) 564-7755 .
- 4th Quarter Property Tax grace period has been extended from November 7th until November 13th. Property taxes received by the Tax Collector’s office after November 13th will be subject to interest calculated back to the statutory due date of November 1, 2012 at the established rate of interest. Postmarks are not accepted.
- Garbage collection has resumed its normal zoned schedule as of November 1st. If you are able to access the website the schedule is posted there. You can also call the storm call center if you have a question about household garbage collection. Please bring household trash to an accessible curbside.
- Residents should take caution in hiring tree crews. It is advised to ask if the crew has insurance and is a reputable company. Most reputable companies will be able to provide insurance on site.
- Wires down can still be “live”, please use caution around downed wires. Many generators being operated may not have been installed properly and could back feed the lines and make them live wires and extremely dangerous.
- Charge stations at the Gero Park Building and Bauer Community Center will be open over the weekend. Both stations will be open from 10:00AM until 2:00PM for charging of CELL PHONES ONLY.
- Recreation programs (soccer and flag football) will be held over the weekend. Please call the Recreation hotline for more information if your family is involved in a program. Recreation Hotline number is (973) 564-7096 .
- Residents will be advised via CodeRed, additional fliers and website postings regarding the Tuesday, November 6th election. The Township is currently in the process of finding a polling location should the Township still be without power on Election Day. If residents are not already signed up for CodeRed, please call the Storm Call Center. The call takers will take your information and add you to CodeRed system. You can also sign up on the Township’s website at www.twp.millburn.nj.us by clicking the CodeRed icon at the bottom of the homepage.
- Essex County Clerk’s office is offering residents the opportunity to cast their ballot via paper ballot in their office in Newark at The Hall of Records located 465 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. on Friday November 2nd from 8AM until 5:30PM, Saturday November 3rd from 9AM until 4PM, Sunday from 10AM until 2:00PM and Monday November 5th from 8AM until 3PM. Please bring proper identification. Residents can also call (973) 621-4921 or visit their website at www.essexclerk.com for more information.