Congressman Rodney Freylinghusen, Assemblyman John McKeon & Wade Knowles, Pleasantdale Chateau Credits: Cynthia Cumming
Sheila Parisi, Edison Museum Archivist Lenny DeGraff, West Orange Mayor Robert Parisi,Nancy Sivilli, Susan McCartney and Richard Trenk Credits: Cynthia Cumming
Chiropractor Guy Notte, Friends of Edison Chair Hap Bojsza & Councilwoman & FOE Board Member Susan McCartney Credits: Cynthia Cumming
Jerry and Karen Tarnoff Credits: Cynthia Cumming
Frank & FOE Board Member Nina Barcszca with guests along with Edison National Park Assistant Supervisor Terry Jung (standing right) Credits: Cynthia Cumming
Joe & Susan McCartney, Roz Moskowitz & Wade Knowles Credits: Cynthia Cumming
Friends of Edison Gala at Pleasantdale Chateau In West Orange Raises Funds for Edison National Historic Park
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 • 6:41pm
WEST ORANGE, NJ - The Friends of Edison Gala, held Feb. 11 at the Pleasantdale Chateau in West Orange, raised over $4,000 to support the historic Thomas Edison National Park on Main Street. An estimated 120 guests attended and enjoyed an outstanding meal and great conversation in a warm and cozy setting.
The Friends of Thomas Edison National Historic Park (NHP) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of Thomas A. Edison's laboratory and home. The members, many lifelong West Orange residents, share an appreciation and understanding of preserving the work and memory of Thomas Edison at his factory site on Main Street and his home, Glenmont, located in Lllewelyn Park.
Glenmont was designated as the Edison Home National Historic Site on Dec. 6, 1955. The laboratory was designated as Edison Laboratory National Monument on July 14, 1956. On Sept. 5, 1962, the 21-acre sites of both Glenmont and Edison's laboratory were designated and named the Edison National Historic Site. It was at that time that the National Park Service began to oversee operation of Glenmont and the laboratories. In 2006, the Laboratory Complex closed for extensive renovations and reopened in 2009. It was then was renamed the Thomas Edison National Historical Park.
The Friends of Edison are committed to assist in the preservation of Thomas Edison National Historic Park, historic objects and papers, and raise awareness for individuals worldwide to learn about the tremendous impact that Thomas Edison made to our world. The site includes 22 historic structures, furnished historic rooms, exhibits, and a museum collection of approximately 400,000 artifacts, 40,000 sound recordings, 60,000 historic photographs, and 5 million archival documents. From Edison's West Orange laboratories came the motion picture camera, improved phonographs, sound recordings, silent and sound movies and the nickel-iron alkaline electric storage battery.Over 60,000 people, including schoolchildren and foreign visitors tour the Site each year.
For more information on The Friends of Edison, please visit their website at: www.foedison.org.
For more information on Thomas Edison National Historic Park, go to: