Friday Afternoon Update on Snowstorm for Scotch Plains and Fanwood
Friday, January 3, 2014 • 12:50pm
FANWOOD/SCOTCH PLAINS, NJ – Thursday's storm has passed, but temperatures remain in the teens with wind chills at or below zero. Roads have been plowed and salt is still being distributed to keep ice down on roadways. About 6 inches of snow fell in Fanwood and Scotch Plains.
Temperatures will continue to remain low today and tomorrow, so everyone is cautioned to dress appropriately when going out.
Here's the latest information for both communities:
- Fanwood Borough offices will open at 10 a.m. and may close early. Call (908) 322-8236.
- Fanwood-Scotch Plains public schools will be closed today, Jan. 3.
- Plowing has been under way all night and continues this morning. Main roads are open and side roads are passable. All residents are urged to park off-street wherever possible to facilitate plowing.
- All residents are still urged to stay off the roads unless driving is absolutely necessary.
- A reminder that it is illegal to drive with windshields obstructed by snow, or to drive with large amounts of snow on your vehicle that could blow off and obstruct someone else's view.
- In the event of a power outage or downed wires, call PSE&G's customer hotline, 800-436-PSEG. Never touch a downed wire.
- If you smell gas, or to report a gas leak, call Elizabethtown Gas, 800-492-4009.
- The Fanwood and Scotch Plains Police Departments, Fire Departments and Rescue Squads are ready to respond to any emergency. In the event of an emergency, call 911.
To stay in touch with Fanwood:
- Sign up here for email alerts
- Sign up here for text alerts
- Check www.fanwoodnj.org for information updates
To stay in touch with Scotch Plains:
- Sign up for alerts go to www.scotchplainspolice.org and click "Emergency Alert System", then click "Register now" to sign up for CODE RED.
- Tune to Fanwood/Scotch Plains information radio at 530 on the AM dial in the event of power outages or road closures. The broadcast is also streamed here.