Flood Insurance Awareness
Sunday, July 29, 2012 • 4:43pm
After Hurricane Irene here at the Heights Agency, we've been reminded of the utter importance of supplemental flood insurance in protecting valuables and livelihoods.
After purchasing a home in a flood zone, one of your first tasks as a homeowner is to procure the flood insurance coverage necessary to protect your possessions from the environment. Allstate is pleased to write separate policies to fit individual circumstances, in conjunction or separately from home insurance policies.
Contact the Heights Agency today for your no-obligation quote.
Although floods are close to the mind of anyone living in a flood zone, we often forget flash floods and the damage they can wreak without warning. When the ground is overly dry or overly saturated, water levels can rise quickly and dangerously, putting your home in danger.
No matter the flood, remember these tips to protect your home and your family.
- When storms are on the forecast, keep an ear on the local and national news.
- Avoid floodwater -- even if it seems shallow, these waters can move quickly and take bystanders with them.
- Keep a kit with food, water, flashlights, electronic chargers, and medication, pending an evacuation.
- Keep children from playing standing water, which may be contaminated.
- When an evacuation has been issued, follow all emergency instructions and stay away from the affected area.
- If electrical wires are down, avoid all puddles or water, which may conduct the electricity.
- Do not use contaminated water to wash yourself or any personal items.
- If there is an odor of natural or propane gas, leave the house immediately and call the fire department.
- Be careful of wild animals that may have entered the home with the flood waters.
Remember, no matter your insurance needs, at the Heights Agency, you're always in good hands.