First Winter Weather Advisory of the Season for West Orange
Monday, December 9, 2013 • 11:11pm
WEST ORANGE, NJ - A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for Essex County, including West Orange, with expectations of 2-4 inches of snow beginning around 9 a.m. Tuesday and ending around 3 p.m. Temperatures are expected to stay in the low 30s throughout the day and drop into the low to mid 20s by nightfall. The Advisory was issued by the National Weather Service at 9:45 p.m. on Dec. 9 and runs through 6 p.m. on Dec. 10.
According to the National Weather Service:
WITH ABUNDANT LOW LEVEL MOISTURE ACROSS THE REGION AND TEMPERATURES DROPPING BELOW FREEZING THIS EVENING...ANY STANDING WATER WILL FREEZE LATER TONIGHT. THIS WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS...ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES...OVERPASSES...AND UNTREATED ROADS.
* LOCATIONS... NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY.
* HAZARD TYPES... SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES.
* TEMPERATURES... IN THE UPPER 20S.
* VISIBILITIES... OCCASIONALLY BELOW 1/2 MILE IN BRIEF BANDS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW.
* TIMING... SNOW WILL DEVELOP TUESDAY MORNING AND WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF BY TUESDAY EVENING.
* IMPACTS... SNOW WILL DEVELOP DURING THE MORNING COMMUTE... AND ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL CREATE ICY AND HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS THROUGHOUT THE DAY.
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW... SLEET... OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.
Although the West Orange Department of Public works was out in force Sunday night to salt the roads as ice and snow fell, driving conditions were difficult for commuters this morning as layers of ice coated their vehicles and icy driveways and roads made commuting treacherous. During the day, ice fell in sheets off trees, light poles, and wires. Several West Orange parents were angry that a delayed opening for the West Orange School district had not been called, citing icy conditions at the schools.
Residents are advised to salt their driveways and sidewalks, take necessary precautions, and not venture out during the storm if it is not necessary. The West Orange School district has not made any announcements of early school closures at this time. The Alternative Press will provide updates as they become available.