First Annual NJBIN Awards Held on April 26th
Saturday, April 27, 2013 • 4:49pm
The New Jersey Business Incubation Network (NJBIN) selected 20 high-performing companies from its 15 incubators across the state to be recognized at its First Annual Business Incubation Awards on April 26, 2013. The companies were from wide range of industries, including the life science, information technology, and environmental industries. Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno was the guest speaker.
“We were pleased with the success of our first annual awards event,” said Suzanne Zammit, president of NJBIN. “There are close to 500 early stage and startup companies located at our network of 15 incubators throughout New Jersey. According to a fact sheet released by the U.S. Small Business Administration in February 2013, New Jersey's small businesses employ 50.2 percent of the state's private-sector labor force. Many new jobs will come from NJBIN incubator startup and early-stage companies. With our awards, we are recognizing the companies that are already making contributions to New Jersey’s economic growth.”
Award-winner Hopes CAP Inc., which is affiliated with The Incubator Inc. in Plainfield, provides a variety of services to residents of Hudson and Union Counties, operating out of 10 locations in Hoboken and Plainfield, NJ. The company’s 227 employees serve more than 2,000 individuals annually. Hopes runs its Early Head Start program, which serves 72 pregnant women, infants and toddlers from the incubator. “The incubator has provided Hopes CAP with valuable information regarding community outreach events and committees within the community,” said Ora Welch, Hopes CAPS’s president and chief executive officer.
The winning companies from all New Jersey incubators are listed below.
Burlington County College High Technology and Life Science Incubators, Mount Laurel:
- GoldTier Technologies, a software solution provider specializing in client on-boarding.
- TranSend IT, a provider of integrated financial transaction processing solutions.
Business Development Incubator, Jersey City:
- The Globecon Group, a provider of world-class subject matter expertise in banking and financial services.
- Kvibe Productions LLC, a 35mm & HD video production services company.
Enterprise Development Center at NJIT, Newark
- Endomedix Inc., developed an environmentally responsive, biodegradable hydrogel that controls bleeding in surgical procedures. Its first controlled animal trial demonstrates winning performance on all key performance parameters. They have received six SBIR grants for $1.1M and $625K in private capital.
- Truphone, a pioneering international mobile communications company.
Meadowlands Regional Accelerator at Bergen Community College, Lyndhurst:
- Ciel Power LLC, a company that promotes energy efficiency awareness through energy assessments, energy-efficient retrofits, and participation in the New Jersey Home Performance with Energy Star Program.
- Recircle Brands: Bag Ups, a veteran owned business with a degradable trash bag dispensing system, recently featured on CBS, MSNBC and Fox and Friends. The product is manufactured in New Jersey and employs the disabled.
The Rutgers EcoComplex, Bordentown
- EcoWalls LLC, a company that specializes in the design, installation, research, maintenance, and manufacturing of vertical landscapes.
- Olive Creek Farms, culinary herbs and specialties hydroponic producer.
- Anna Mika, producer of eyewear.
- RKNet Studios, creators of Cognitions Bridge, a trademarked suite of mobile games for education, entertainment, brain fitness, and cognitive skills development.
Rutgers Food Innovation Center, Bridgeton
- Beyond The Spice, a family owned & operated company specializing in the handcrafting of all-natural, real-world Asian sauces.
- Jin+Ja, producers of a 100% natural beverage with a potent dose of fresh ginger blended with fruit, tea and a touch of cayenne.
Picatinny Innovation Center, Dover
- Lightening Energy, a “green” battery developer.
- Universal Global Products, an advanced metal coatings and nano particle research company.
Business Development Center, Asbury Park
- Kuratur, a customized web magazine publishing service.
Commercialization Center for Innovative Technologies, North Brunswick
- Orthobond, a developer of nano-coatings for medical products.
The Incubator Inc./The BOSS (Business One Stop Service), Plainfield
- Hopes CAP Inc., a provider of a variety of services, including an Early Head Start Program, to residents of Hudson and Union Counties, operating out of 10 locations in Hoboken and Plainfield, New Jersey.
Rutgers Camden Incubator, Camden
- mVisum, developed the only enterprise-wide mobility platform with integrations to all major back-end systems and handling all types of clinical data.
The New Jersey Business Incubation Network is a collaborative statewide community of business experts and resource facilities; dedicated to enhancing the commercial success of early stage and expansion stage entrepreneurial companies; growing higher paying jobs, and supporting the economic growth strategy for the state.