Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day on April 26 Aims to Help Kids Exercise Minds and Bodies
Friday, April 25, 2014 • 10:46am
On Saturday, April 26, the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is holding a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, the Y’s national initiative to improve families’ health and well-being, features games, healthy cooking demonstrations, arts and crafts and more to motivate and teach families how to develop a healthy routine at home.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at nearly 1,600 Ys across the country, aims to get more kids moving and learning, so they can keep up the habit all summer long – a critical out-of-school time for kids’ health. Research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, kids fall behind academically. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year.
“One in three U.S. children is obese. This statistic, coupled with the fact that once summer hits, children will be more idle, demonstrates why it’s important to help families develop healthy habits now,” said Shannon Frank, Youth and Family/SAAC Program Director, Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA. “As part of the Y’s commitment to healthy living, through YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day our goal is to improve the health and well-being of kids and inspire habits they can continue into adulthood.”
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Onging Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs. Bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Lead By Example – Be a good role model – kids can be influenced by seeing how hard their parents work at home or on the job, and how rewarding that experience is.
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day takes place at the Martine Avenue facility in Scotch Plains from 10:00am- 1:00pm and features fun, active play and educational activities, such as Hula Hoop and Jump Rope Games, Face Painting, Arts & Crafts, Giant Inflatables, Family Boot Camp, Fear Food Factor, Plant Your Own Tree, Nutrition Info, Healthy Treats and much more!
For more information, contact the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA at 908-889-8880 or visit fanwoodscotchplainsymca.org
The Y is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. For information on membership or programs, or to request a schedule of classes, please call the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA at (908) 889-8880 or visit the Y’s website at www.fanwoodscotchplainsymca.org. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.