Borough Announces Leaf Collection Schedule
Thursday, September 26, 2013 • 5:00am
2013 Leaf Collection Schedule
District 1 – All properties north of Main Street
District 2 – All properties between Main Street and Watchung Avenue
District 3 – All properties south of Watchung Avenue (including Watchung Avenue)
Leaves will be collected in each district as follows using the vacuum method:
District 1 Oct. 15th through Oct. 18th and Nov. 4th through Nov. 8th
District 2 Oct. 21th through Oct. 25th and Nov. 11th through Nov. 15th
District 3 Oct. 28th through Nov. 1st and Nov. 18th through Nov. 22nd
Starting Monday, November 25, 2013, one final pick up will be conducted starting in District 1 and ending in district 3. Leaves should not be piled at the curb after November 25, 2013.
- The Borough will no longer offer the voluntary leaf bag program. However, a modified version of the bag program will continue to run. Please read page two “Leaf Bag Program” for information.
- The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection has instituted new Municipal Stormwater Regulations. Part of the new regulations include the Borough adopting and enforcing an ordinance prohibiting the placement of yard waste (leaves) in the road or within ten (10) feet of any storm sewer inlet. This fall, tickets will be issued on first occurrences.
- Residents are reminded not to pile leaves in the street. Leaves should be placed above the curb or street edge, not more then 5’ back off the roadway.
- Please place only leaves at the curb. Rocks, sticks & tree limbs are a safety hazard to employees and can cause serious damage to collection equipment.
Mulch Site Operating Hours:
The hours and days of operation at the Mulch site will increase this fall to better serve residents that wish to bring leaves to us. Starting Monday, October 21, 2013, the site will operate six days a week during the hours listed below.
October / November / December Mulch Area Schedule:
Hours of operation – 1:00pm to 3:00pm - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday
12:00pm to 4:00pm - Saturdays
- The Mulch site operating hours for Wednesday, November 27th – 9:00am to 12:00pm
- The Mulch site closes to the public on Saturday, December 7, 2013
Leaf Bag Program:
As mentioned above the Borough no longer offers the collection of leaf bags at the curb. However, paper leaf bags will be handed out at the mulch site to Borough residents free of charge starting in October. Residents can continue to dispose of bags at the mulch site during the dates and times listed above.
Private Landscape Companies:
Residents hiring landscape companies should instruct their landscaper to place leaves at the street edge or curb in accordance with the schedule and rules mentioned. Landscapers may also make arrangements to bring leaves from Borough residents to the mulch site free of charge. Please have your landscaper contact the Department of Public Works (973-635-5242) to sign up for this program.
Department of Public Works contacts:
Bob Venezia, Director – email firstname.lastname@example.org