Are You Ready for Eagles Football Yet?
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 • 12:36pm
Nothing gives fans such a warm feeling as hearing that chant cheered.
This camp is the most anticipated of any Birds camp in some time as the Eagles prepare for Year Two of the Chip Kelly era.
Coach Kelly's first year was a success: a NFC East crown and playoff appearance.
Going into camp, so many questions needed to be addressed:
* Is Quarterback Nick Foles, entering his first year as the starter, the real deal? Can Foles even come close to repeating a year that few quarterbacks can say they have experienced?
* Can Wide Receiver Jeremy Maclin, coming off a missed season due to injury, replace star wideout DeSean Jackson, whom the team cut ties with in the off-season?
* Is the defense now solid enough to get this team over the hump and into the playoff mix?
* Can Kelly's high-flying offense succeed once again, especially without Jackson?
* Can backup QB Mark Sanchez, who missed last year, carry the weight if Foles is injured? And how about Matt Barkley?
The Birds are a team on the rise, there's no doubt about that.
Philly fans are foaming at the mouth for a winner in this city and Kelly just might be the guy who finally gets the Birds to the promised land, a Super Bowl victory.
This could be the year...
The reality, probably, is that the Eagles a really a year away from a Super Bowl run. The team needs to get a playoff win under their belt first.
But with Kelly, Foles and all-world running back LeSean McCoy leasing the charge, you can bank on the Birds to be competitive and fiery.
The way the NFL works, any team has a chance. Look at the Seattle Seahawks last year.
The Eagles are getting close. Friday will be the first chance to see just how close.
Dino Ciliberti is a lifelong Philadelphia sports fan, journalist of 30 years and award-winning sports writer who lives in Upper Dublin Township in Montgomery County. With Philly Sports Chatter he shares his thoughts about the professional sports in the Greater Philadelphia region.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TheAlternativePress.com or anyone who works for TheAlternativePress.com. TheAlternativePress.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.