The Beloved = Joy!
Monday, February 14, 2011 • 12:46pm
“when you jump for joy, beware that no one moves the
ground from beneath your feet.” ~Stanislaw Lec
Recently, a friend of mine wrote me and asked, “Rosanne, when you have time send me your definition of joy.” I don’t know why but I found the message immediately thought provoking and my mind reeled into an endless list of meanings for what joy is or what it had the possibility of being. As with anything, perspective is what gives us value and meaning. What holds deep meaning for one, has little significance for someone else. Depending on the context and usage of many words, my understanding of joy can apply to other nouns as well…. With the inquiry into what joy is, I found myself with countless definitions! (One better than the next!) Here are some:
- Breathing–without effort (first and formost!)
- Seeing the trust in my children’s eyes whenever we talk about serious things.
- Loving a Someone Special without needing to be loved back! (but knowing you are!)
- Joy =’s freedom from everyone and everything.
- Telling the Truth when everyone else lies.
- Having sex with someone you trust (and love) and then having sex with them again!
- Joy is being comfortable with yourself all the time and knowing that others feel comfortable with you!
- Kissing my pooches cheeks and seeing/hearing their wagging-excitement whenever I am in their field of vision or they hear me coming!
- Joy is the ease of seeing the wonder in all of our days (and being able to turn away from all it is not—wonder-filled.
- It is the enjoyment of another that brings about the loving of them so naturally.
- Elated joy is being someone’s Home Page and not their sidebar…
“To get the full value of joy you must have
someone to divide it with.” ~ Mark Twain
This Valentine’s Day, maybe we can take a moment to tell someone why we love and enjoy them and let them know that in some way they inspire us, simply (!) and solely because of Who They Are—
Perhaps this Valentine’s Day we will think of who we love and not what and whom we need to possess or control.
This Valentine’s Day we can take the time to acknowledge that the greatest gift of all is that the One(s) we love exist—that they are alive and we are fortunate enough to be a significant part of their Being Here!
Today is a wonderful day to not take for granted and to remember that every day should be treated like this day, for how we love another is a constant, not a once a year event or obligation.
“Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of
living is joy enough.” ~Emily Dickinson
So, when that Clock is about to strike 12 and that noon train is approaching around the bend; the tracks are laden with golden bricks pointing in a Direction and your life is asking you: Decide, Decide, Decide…who are you going to listen to? Your heart or your mind?
(only time will tell…)